Monday, June 16, 2008

To croissant or not to croissant?

We're generally good about not giving Palmer human food in fear that he'll stop eating his gourmet doggie food all together. The huge gaping flaw in this effort is when we bring Palmer over to visit my mom and dad. For those of you that know my dad, you'll find it completely ironic that he is infatuated with my dog. He greets Palmer with baby talk, he plays chase with him in the backyard, he takes doggie naps with him on the couch, and even wipes his butt every single time he poops! Needless to say, my dad eats up the attention he gets when he waves human food (usually croissants) above Palmer's head. I try to tell him that all that fatty bread can't be good for a dog but my dad insists! He even puts a little peanut butter on the bread sometimes to make it an *extra* special treat.

Is it just me or is anyone else having difficulty telling others to stop being so "nice" to your dog? I can't find a balance between being thankful that he loves Palmer so much and being a good mommy that cares for the health of her dog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty too. He's so darn cute

dsnike said...

yeaaa my parents spoil my dogs! Ryo and I are against feeding our dogs human food but my parents feed them donuts behind our backs! Especially while we are traveling my parents over feed and spoil them so when we come back from vacation our doggies are doubled in size!!! What will happen when we start having children and your parents have grandchildren to spoil?!